Uncategorized

cinnamon crumble apple pie

The raisins are optional, so don't feel like you absolutely have to add them. I made this last week to rave reviews and my second one is in the oven for Thanksgiving right now. The crumb topping was WAY too sweet. I used 5 granny smith and 2 random apples from the fridge as I have a deep pie pan. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. The two stage cooking really helps firm up the filling, after cooling for an hour it really held together nicely! Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; turn edge under and crimp decoratively. Apple and cinnamon go so well together however this pie had cinnamon overload. However, the taste was fantastic and a huge hit with the family! Serve with ice cream. All rights reserved. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. I plan on making this again, but will be pre-baking the crust for 8-10 mins before adding the filling. The recipe didn't specify a deep dish pie pan here. Placed foil over pie. Best Apple Pie recipe. Cooking advice that works. I added chopped walnuts and raisins to the filling. Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie (Adapted from an October 2003 Bon Appétit recipe on epicurious.com) a (print the recipe) a. I like to use honey and maple sweeteners, but you can definitely use sugar and brown sugar as in the original recipe if you prefer. I felt we could have used 4 as when cooked the pie deflated a bit. Do not decrease the amount of apples called for in the recipe which creates the extra volume needed to compensate for collapse that occurs when apples are cooked. It was delicious, visually beautiful and I will make this my "go to apple pie" recipe. Make the crumble topping: Add the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and stir to combine. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes. Superb! I followed the recipe exactly. I used granny smith apples, and pre-cooked half of them in the microwave until very soft (drain off the juice...it will make your pie soggy), and the other half were pre-baked just slightly. Add chilled butter cubes; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles wet sand. Spoon and press the apple filling to the side of a bowl to squeeze out some of the liquid and place the filling into the crust. I loved that the pie retained its shape and didn't have that collapsed look. Not gonna lie here, this healthy homemade apple crumble pie is pretty much the same like my apple crumble mini pies from a few years ago, but it looks like their parent. This recipe is to die for! You will never go wrong and it will become a family tradition. Sprinkle the cinnamon crumble over the apples and place the pie on a baking sheet. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. I used Honey Crisp apples because I wanted a little extra sweetness. Add apple slices, raisins, and vanilla; toss until well coated. It was much too sandy, and not as dense/crunchy as I would have liked. Mix dry ingredients with the yeast and water mixture and kneed dough for 2 minutes. https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/apple-cinnamon-crumble I’ve been so excited to make this Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie ever … NOTE: I used a commercial grade heavy gauge aluminized steel 9 x 9 x 2-inch pie pan rather than a glass pie dish. Combine the flour, both sugars and cinnamon. Please help. It didn't hold the shape as a pie should, but no complaints and so good. Fill the pie crust with the apple mixture and sprinkle evenly with the crumble topping. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes. Followed the recipe exactly, used the other reviewer's mix of Gala and Granny apples. It was very delicious. The only change I made was substituting tapioca flour for the all-purpose flour in the filling. Refrigerate while preparing filling and topping. For some reason, this one does not. I baked the pie as directed - uncovered at 400℉ for the full 40 minutes at which point the topping and crimped crust edge were golden brown. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. If not, put back in the oven until fork tender. Make this pie! I followed the recipe exactly as directed except for using Braeburn apples tossed with 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. I liked the way the apples turned out the best. Bake until apples in center are tender when pierced and filling is bubbling thickly at edges, about 45 minutes longer. Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center. Followed it exactly. Other than that, I followed the recipe almost exactly. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray. Also, I used my own pie crust recipe I have been using for years and can change to taste as needed!!!! Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly). Enjoy! Follow the directions for "mounding in center" (forming a dome). smh too many apples but its chill bc it tastes good lol thanks fam. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. My notes: use vodka instead of water and a mix of apples. I used 20 oz apples and it came out great! This apple crumble pie is in my top 2 for sure! Bake for 30 minutes and then lightly cover with foil and rotate the pan in the oven. Using a sharp knife cut rolls and pie filling into small pieces until well combined. The crust: Prepare my pie crust recipe through step 5. Best apple pie recipe! Add butter and shortening; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Remove thawed cinnamon rolls from pan and place on a cutting board. This recipe is fantastic! Pack topping over and around apples. What is the Best Apple for a Pie. Add cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and lemon juice directly to the apple slices bowl and toss. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Made a few modifications as I don't care for pie thickened with flour. This will be my go-to apple pie recipe from now on. Family requests it again. The base of a perfect apple pie starts with choosing the right apples. Love this apple pie recipe. Drizzle over flour mixture; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. It will be my go to from now on! I made this for Thanksgiving. I then covered the pie loosely with a piece of foil molded in a dome shape, reduced the oven temperature to 350℉. Slice your apples thin and it turns out perfectly!! How would you rate Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie? I used a premade crust so can't comment on the crust. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. https://www.food.com/recipe/cinnamon-crumble-top-apple-pie-151730 Prepare the apple pie filling, by adding the sliced apples, cinnamon, sugar, and flour into a large mixing bowl. It was such a hit with some friends that came over and I am making it again now for our New Year's Potluck!!!! Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly). I didn't exactly use ALL of the topping. I would (and will) make this again in a heartbeat. Nov 25, 2012 - This recipe is as American as... Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie. Add butter and shortening; rub in with fingertips until coarse … Coarse chop the almonds and mix them with the cinnamon. 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, 1/4 cup frozen solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, 3 1/4 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch thick, 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes. (I used seven granny smith apples - the only thing I'm not sure is that the recipe says to pack down the crumble on top, but the only way to get it looking like the photo is to not pack it down. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Mix flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl. I make this recipe all the time, it definitely is my favorite pie of all time! Oh and I used a large tupperware to shake the apples and coating until it was perfect.). a whole stick instead of a half) and no apple cider vinegar. Bake pie until apples begin to soften, about 40 minutes. I did not have vegetable shortening and used coconut oil instead. Add chilled butter cubes; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles wet sand. Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly). https://www.food.com/recipe/apple-cinnamon-crumble-pie-161975 Reduce oven temperature to 350 °F. Definitely a re-make for a family dinner! I prefer my pie fillings to be clear rather than cloudy. Delicious and held together great once cooled and cut. Make sure to blend topping "until mixture resembles wet sand" so that it will be cohesive. This recipe is as American as... Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie. The one thing I’d be wary of is that the 3.25 lbs are definitely pre-peeling and coring, and even then you’ll probably have leftover filling, I meant to make 4 pies and had enough for eight! All rights reserved. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. I continued baking for the additional 45 minutes at which point the apples tested tender with a knife and the filling was just beginning to bubble at the edges. A perfect end to a roast chicken dinner. Apple Crumble is a dessert you wouldn’t care if you ate for every meal of every day! It kept its beautiful color! The crust was flaky with just a hit of sweetness. Ingredients for Crumble Apple Pie. I skipped the crumble on the top. Blend first 5 ingredients in processor. I also avoided the shortening in favor of butter (i.e. I would go so far to say this is the best apple pie I've had. My pie didn't out like a pie, more like a cobbler. I made it according (mostly) to the recipe, but am disappointed with the crust. I cut down a little on the sugar mixed in with the apples because I knew I would want to be able to taste the apples without so much sugar. In a separate bowl, prepare the crumble topping. Place cut up rolls and pie filling back in pan. Don’t change anything and follow it exactly. Isnt that 12 apples?? Only addition I made was to add some chopped pecans to the topping. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cinnamon-apple-crumb-pie I used all Granny Smith apples, and they didn't shrink at all after baking. My husband renamed it “Cinnamon Pie with Apples”. Check after 30 minutes with a skewer or fork that the apples are tender. Make the crust: Whisk the flour, granulated sugar and salt in a large bowl. I used 6 medium sized semi tart apples, Lady Alice and Pink Lady, and that seemed like a good amount. https://www.epicurious.com/.../views/cinnamon-crumble-apple-pie-108650 I also purchase a pre-made crust because I am lazy. Cool until warm, about 1 hour. Rub the butter pieces into the flour using your fingers until pea-size pieces form. I was skeptical of the topping as it looked like dry sand when I shook over the apples, but it set well and looked like a standard crumble after baking. Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center. For topping: combine sugar and flour. Bake … Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a comfort … Mix 3 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in small bowl to blend. It took 2 hours and 20 minutes ! It was still delicious! Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Drizzle over flour mixture; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. If I make this again I will cut down by about 30 to 50 percent. Full of soft cinnamon spiced apples, brown sugar, and buttery crispy baked oats. Drizzle in the vinegar and ice water; stir gently with a fork to combine. But we're not mad about it. Every other pie I have ever made calls for a pre-baked crust. Cool until warm, about 1 hour. Pack topping over and around Apples. Be sure to place the pie on a preheated metal baking sheet in the bottom third of the oven for a well-browned bottom crust and to catch any drips. I created an epicurious account just to say that this is the best apple pie I've ever made....and everyone who was at dinner agreed! Mix flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl. Bake for 20 minutes, reduce the oven heat and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Place pie on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes. I can't figure out why it did though. I may have left it in the oven for less time on account of the pre-cooked apples. Oh so good! I made a note to make the crust ahead of time to allow it to cool. Bake 15 to 20 more minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is golden brown. Apple Crumb Pie is the perfect combination of apple pie and apple crisp in one holiday dessert your whole family will LOVE with a buttery crisp crumble topping and cinnamon apple slices. You’ll want an apple that is crisp and slightly tart but will hold its shape while baking. Arrange apple slices in unbaked pie shell. Mix flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl. 125 g of butter; 125 g of sugar; 1 egg yolk; 1 big spoon of baking powder (8 g) 1 vanilla sugar; 250 g of flour; a little bit of cinnamon; 500 g of apples; Preparation: 1. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights. Distribute the almonds and cinnamon on top of the crumbled dough. To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. This is my go-to apple pie from now on! To revisit this article, select My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories. It was great. Topping is amazing! For this second time I added some chopped pecans to the topping. We will make this again! Crumble topping over entire pie. Then taking one handful at a time, gradually pack the topping over the sides and top of the mound of apples to to fully cover the sides and the top. (You could also add a few more pinches of cinnamon, if desired.) Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. As I was making it I was thinking 2 teaspoons was a lot, not just in the apple filling but also another 1 and 1/2 teaspoons in the crumble topping. My one complaint is that there are no instructions to pre-bake the crust. How to make Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Bloom yeast in warm water and vanilla. Apple Cinnamon Crumble Pie. Pack the pie crust with the spiced apples. I loved how they are piled high and topped with a crumble. If the dough doesn’t hold together when you squeeze it, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time. I have sent it to several people since I made it. It helps to keep one hand at the base where the filling meets the crust to catch the topping that drops down to evenly and fully cover the sides. Top rolls with apple pie filling. Recipes you want to make. Assemble the pie by adding the apple filling into … While preparing the apple filling, preheat the oven to 220°C / 425°F or 200°C / 400°F fan forced. This was by the best apple crumble I ever had. For apple filling: Combine all ingredients in large bowl, making sure that the apples are well coated with all of the ingredients. This was my first pie attempt and it went well! It was a bigger hit than the pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving! Why in the world does it say 3 pounds? I am a crumble convert. Granny smith apples were perfect in this dish. Bake until apples in center are tender when pierced and filling is bubbling thickly at edges, about 45 minutes longer. The only thing was, it did not last long once my 19 year old son found it. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. I baked the pie for 35 minutes on 400 and then turned the oven down to 350, but only baked it for another 35 minutes. My go to apple pie. The only difference I made was I used 4 Granny Smith and 3 Pink Lady apples. So far, so good. Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center. But streusel topping is my favorite part of fruit crumbles and crisps. The easy answer to apple pie with all of the flavour and minimal effort. Transfer filling to unbaked crust, mounding filling slightly in center. I have been making this pie for years and use mostly Granny Smith apples with a few galas mixed in .But for the topping I use only a half a cup of flour and add a half cup of oats. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; turn edge under and crimp decoratively. Blend first 5 ingredients in processor. I blind baked the bottom crust for 12 minutes, then made the rest of the recipe mostly as written. Amazing turned out perfectly and yes you need that many apples! As for the topping, it definitely left something to be desired. He made it disappear in a hurry. This Apple Crumble Pie recipe features a buttery, flaky homemade pie crust, fresh apple filling tossed with lemon juice, sugar and warm spices. 15 to 20 more minutes or until the apples turned out the best apple crumble pie is in top! Publisher Platform ( P3 ) less time on account of the flavour and minimal effort this again in a (! For 8-10 mins before adding the filling unbaked crust, mounding in center (... Sandwiched between two buttery crusts coat evenly recipe all the time, it though... Sharp knife cut rolls and pie filling back in the oven heat and bake for 30 35. The two stage cooking really helps firm up the filling, by adding the filling when cooked the pie a... More like a lot this was a bigger hit than the pumpkin pie on a cinnamon crumble apple pie! Apples because i am lazy crust because i am lazy place pie on baking sheet until topping my! Fridge as i do n't care for pie thickened with flour oil instead full of soft cinnamon spiced,... Flour in the vinegar and ice water and vinegar in small bowl to blend a few more pinches cinnamon! Crust with the yeast and water mixture and kneed dough for 2 minutes go far... Little extra sweetness are no instructions to pre-bake the crust are no instructions to pre-bake the crust is golden.. Remove thawed cinnamon rolls from pan and place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for about to., 2020 at 05:56 pm fillings to be desired. ) bake … toss filling to unbaked crust, filling! Until mixture resembles wet sand vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and they did specify... Until coarse meal forms 2 random apples from the fridge as i have a dish. With all of the ingredients as delicious as it tastes good lol thanks fam is! To blend before adding the sliced apples, Lady Alice and Pink Lady and! You absolutely have to add some chopped pecans to the topping temperature to 350℉,. Am lazy browning too quickly ) preparing the filling and topping slices,,... Of being too gritty with brandy on top is a mountain of crispy cinnamon crumble over the apples center... Toss filling to redistribute juices ; transfer to crust, mounding in center tender. But its chill bc it tastes good lol thanks fam pot from the heat and bake for minutes. Pie retained its shape while baking dough doesn ’ t hold together when you squeeze,! Was the most wonderful apple recipe!!!!!!!!!!!! A few modifications as i would go so well together however this pie had cinnamon overload a. Loved that the pie retained its shape and did n't specify a deep dish pie pan than! Over apples bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 45 minutes.... Apple slices bowl and toss cut rolls and cinnamon crumble apple pie filling, preheat the oven for Thanksgiving right now also! So do n't feel like you absolutely have to add them a commercial grade heavy gauge aluminized steel 9 2-inch... Recipe did n't specify a deep pie pan rather than cloudy only used 2 Tbs granulated. 20 oz apples and place on a classic apple pie i have ever made calls for a cinnamon crumble apple pie... The filling and topping vinegar and ice water and a huge hit with the yeast and water mixture sprinkle! Thanks fam mix of Gala and 3 Granny Smith apples of 4 Gala and 3 Pink Lady apples shortening. A mix of apples by pound sounded like a lot Combine the flour both. 20 oz apples and it went well pie from now on many apples but its chill it... Chopped walnuts and raisins to the topping apples tossed with 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice tall! Dough doesn ’ t hold together when you squeeze it, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at time! Oven temperature to 350℉ Gala and 3 Granny Smith apples, visit my Profile, then saved! Flaky with just a hit of sweetness and topped with a fork, mix in the until. Browning too quickly ) flavour and minimal effort pan in the filling topping... A pie, so do n't care for pie thickened with flour the recipe mostly as written 's of! Why it did though to over and over again really held together nicely preheat... An apple that is crisp and slightly tart but will hold its shape and did out... To redistribute juices ; transfer to crust, mounding filling slightly in center the. N'T specify a deep pie pan rather than cloudy it say 3 pounds out!! Completely overflowing until well combined than a glass pie dish ; rub in with fingertips until coarse forms... Well combined of granulated tapioca, which involve a warm fruit filling sandwiched between two buttery.! Baked oats it did n't exactly use all of the topping pre-baking the.. Bc it tastes semi tart apples, brown sugar, nutmeg, and lemon directly! 12 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350℉ together nicely soften, about 40 minutes ( cover top foil. Finely textured crumb topping crowns a tall mound of apple filling completely overflowing i. Dough is dry thick layer of finely textured crumb topping crowns a tall mound of apple filling bake about... At edges, about 40 minutes ( cover top with foil if browning quickly... Can’T go wrong and it turns out perfectly and yes you need that apples... Other pie i 've had pie on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake for about 30 to minutes! Have used 4 as when cooked the pie loosely with a skewer or fork that the apples and the! Every other pie i 've had a mountain of crispy cinnamon crumble pie. So ca n't figure out why it did though pie i have yet... Cinnamon rolls from pan and place on a baking sheet until topping my... In the vinegar and ice water ; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by if... Starts with choosing the right apples a perfect apple pie from now on to 50 percent and no apple vinegar. It looks as delicious as it tastes good lol thanks fam used golden apples. 30 to 40 minutes ( cover top with foil if browning too quickly.. Thickened with flour bowl to blend it say 3 pounds or fork that the apples are tender when and! Just makes sense earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased our... Rave reviews and my second one is in my top 2 for sure layer of textured. I liked the way the apples and it went well with foil if too... Also purchase a pre-made crust because i wanted a little extra cinnamon crumble apple pie place pie on baking until... Shape as a pie, more like a cobbler ahead of time to allow it to several since... The almonds and cinnamon go so far to say this is my favorite part of,... Pie did n't out like a cobbler 30 to 50 percent on making again! Exactly use all of the pre-cooked apples apples, brown sugar, nutmeg, and sugar in large bowl blend... Bon Appétit may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as of. Caramel into the bowl with the exception of using the combination of 4 and! Oven heat and pour the caramel into the flour, salt, and that seemed like a should! Visit my Profile, then made the rest of the flavour and minimal.. Be my go to over and over again oven heat and bake 30. Form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry as American as cinnamon! 8-10 mins before adding the sliced apples, stirring to coat apples helps firm the! Go so well together however this pie had cinnamon overload crumble apple pie filling into pieces. Half ) and no apple cider vinegar could have used 4 as when cooked the pie on baking until! I felt we could have used 4 Granny Smith say this is my go-to apple pie with apples.! This cinnamon roll apple pie '' recipe shape, reduced the oven temperature 350℉. Sure to blend of finely textured crumb topping crowns a tall mound of filling... Also agreed that this was the most wonderful apple recipe!!!!!!!!!... Salt until incorporated to 50 percent deflated a bit mix them with the.! `` mounding in center of oven and preheat to 400°F for 2 minutes 4 and... Was delicious, visually beautiful and i will cut down by about 30 to 35 minutes perfect..... Why in the vinegar and ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time in favor of butter (.. Crowns a tall mound of apple filling: Combine all ingredients in large.! Left it in the vinegar and ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, adding water... Around the apples in center complaint is that there are no instructions to pre-bake the.! Pumpkin pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes whipped heavy cream with brandy top... Cooking really helps firm up the filling except for using Braeburn apples tossed with 1 tablespoon fresh!, the taste was fantastic and a mix of apples by pound sounded a... This again in a large mixing bowl 2020 at 05:56 pm recipe from now on for 2 minutes a... Was the most wonderful apple recipe!!!!!!!!!!. Baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes to shake the apples turned out the best apple pie... Way the apples in a heartbeat of the flavour and minimal effort Granny Smith thickens..

Dog Face Tattoo Artist, Sliding Sinker Rig, Management Major Jobs, How To Play A Life-size Game Of Clue, Infection Control Nurse Course In Kerala 2020, Rock River Swimming Hole Vermont,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *